Re: /dev/nvram on my Celebris

Neil Conway (nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:42:47 +0000

ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:

> Colin Plumb <colin@nyx.net> writes:
>
> > It absolutely *is* intended. The purpose of it is to read and possibly
> > modify the BIOS settings in NVRAM. If you do stupid things while root
> > (it *is* root-writeable-only, right?), Linux is not going to try to
> > save you.
>
> Right. I missed the "with some utility" part of the Configure.help, but
> got the "data that is not lost at power-off" part. Thus I was under the
> impression that the memory could be used for non-volatile storage.

In view of the way the documentation reads, I'm amazed that this hasn't
happened to more people (maybe it has and they're too embarrassed to
speak up :-)).

It really does read like there's a small bit of the nvram that you can
use for whatever you want...

Hence: let's change Configure.help to something a little more sensible.