Re: sound-problem with 2.1.129

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 22:51:25 -0500

Marc Reibel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I`ve tried kernels 2.1.126 up to 2.1.129, but the sound of quake II
> does`nt work correctly.
> Playing mp3`s or wav`s works prfectly, but if I try to play quake II, the
> sounds get long and low, they sound like played with the wrong
> samplingrate and or number of bits.
>
> The problem occured by changing from 2.1.125 to 1.2.126.
> Any thoughts ?
> Thanx.

It's because of the new soundblaster full-duplex code. Since quake2
opens it read/write, it assigns the 16-bit dma channel to the recording
side. So yes, it is using the wrong bitsize for playback. I am not
aware of any fix yet from Alan Cox, but I fixed it by installing the
ALSA sound drivers.

--

Brian Gerst