Re: getrusage(2) not returning number of context switches!

Colin Plumb (colin@nyx.net)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:18:41 -0700 (MST)

Savin Garg wrote:
> Any ideas as to when it is expected? 2.2.0? Or does it require major
> reworking to the kernel code which means 2.4?

Not major, but doing it with minimal impact on the VERY time-critical
context-switching code will take some thought.

However, it will not be in 2.2. The 2.1 kernel series is in feature
freeze, meaning that new features (such as this) are not being added.

Linus has the right to break his own rules, but I think he wants 2.2
*released*, dammit, and wouldn't be interested even if you had a
patch.

I know Linus has said that he wants major stable releases to be more like
a year apart. Because of the long delay getting 2.2 out, a lot of people
expect the same delay in future and thus are unwilling to wait until
2.4 for their pet feature. This pressure just makes it harder to shut
the door and finish 2.2, so Linus needs to be pretty forceful about it.

--
	-Colin