Re: The history of the Linux OS

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:57:42 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> The ISA bus only has 10 I/O address lines, so I/O addresses above 0x03FF
> effectively wrap around. The 8514/A ports ended up aliased to 0x02e8....

Ah, now I stand corrected, looks like substandard serial port cards were
the problem in the first place. No wonder I had some problems :o) Well one
does learn something new everyday. IIRC, it was the poor quality serial
port cards that has the broken 10bit address decoding circuitry. ISA buses
doesn't provide the address decoding stuff I think, it's down to the ISA
card to do it, I believe.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah.demon.co.uk 2.1.129 #63 SMP Sat Nov 21 23:52:03 EST 1998 Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM System library 2.0.6