Re: [2.1.130-3] Page cache DEFINATELY too persistant... feature?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:53:14 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Benjamin Redelings I wrote:

> This command proceeded to fill my PAGE cache (and I assume
> it wasn't doing much writing) and swap a lot of stuff out to disk as
> soon as free memory was exhausted. I had at a small (~3Mb buffer
> cache), and at least 44 out of 63 Mb in the page cache.
>
> If that problem were solved, the swapping problem with the
> buffers wouldn't be nearly so bad, because I wouldn't have the page
> cache sitting there and hogging 33% of my RAM. Maybe only 20% :)

We really should decrease the borrow percentages for buffer
and page cache down to 15%, or do a compulsary switch of
methods when we've performed our trick a certain number
of times...

I've experienced the mega-swapouts as well, but due to
my own patch doing swapIN readahead they didn't feel
that bad :)

cheers,

Rik -- now completely used to dvorak kbd layout...