Re: [Off Topic] Memory Requirements

jens@pinguin.conetix.de
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 22:35:20 +0100

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 08:43:38AM +0100, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 jens@pinguin.conetix.de wrote:
>> So the cycle was this: Get OS/2, install, see it crawling because 4M
>> isn't enough, start ranting, delete it, get Win95, see it crawling,
>> upgrade your machine because you suddenly don't seem to have a
>> choice any more, So:
>>
>> OS/2 is dog-slow -> OS/2 sucks
>> Win95 crawls -> your hardware needs to be upgraded
> I seem to have been quite happy running OS/2 2.11 on a 486/40 with 4 MB of
> ram and 250MB of disk space... Borrowing an extra megabyte solved many of
> the performance problems, however :)

I went to OS/2 in 1995 when I bought my first Pentium (having lived with a
8MHz 286 for three years...). I switched to Linux last year's X-mas, after
my file server had been running it for half a year and I thought I could
give it a try on my workstation... :)

> But then I switched to Linux (Slackware 2.x?) and never went back again...

my first was a SuSE 4.something (1.2.13) which I deleted as soon as OS/2
Warp 4 Beta came (because of space...). Then I had a Debian 1.3.1 on my file
server, and later a SuSE 5.1 (2.0.33) on my workstation, which held tight
until about a month ago, when I installed Debian 2.0 on my workstation.
Running 2.1.129 since yesterday with no problem :)

> Those were the days. I just wish we had swap cache and streaming swap back
> then :)

yeah ... <sigh>

;)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de
    cat /dev/boiler/water | tea | sieve > /cup