Re: High UID support for Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
27 Nov 1998 11:39:13 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.73ln72$gjc$1@work2.noris.de>,
Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.de> wrote:

> o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons) writes:
>>
>> Get back to me when an a.out glibc that can fit on an install
>> floppy is written [2].
>>
>Just use a compressed RAM disk...

I've thought about it, but it's too convenient to be able to just
mount an install floppy; if I was going to go to a superhigh
density floppy format, or compressed ram disks, I'd want to fill
that additional space up with more userland tools (like pcmcia
card services and/or ethernet modules, so people can install off
something other than a CD-rom.)

>> [2: libc 4.8.0 is 412 blocks long; if glibc is clocking in at
>> that size range, please let me know.]
>
>What's your block size??

Bog-standard 4k ext2fs blocks on the floppy. When I convert to a
2.2 kernel, I'll start using devfs and vfat on the floppy, which
will gain me a tiny bit of space plus give me the joy of doing a
twisted Unix hack.

____
david parsons \bi/ and if I want to be really gross, I'll name
\/ the kernel IO.SYS