Re: unkown PCI device

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 20:15:04 -0500 (EST)

Martin Mares writes:
> [someone writes]

>> /proc/pci is absolote in 2.1.x kernels, and other utilites like lspci
>> have user space solutions (/etc/pci.ids for example). Sorry again.
>>
>> Btw : When /proc/pci will be removed from the kernel source ?
>
> Since several commercial X servers parse /proc/pci to get device
> addresses, we probably need to keep this interface in 2.2.
> If Linus agrees, I'll remove it at start of the 2.3 line.

Grrr... don't you even think of it!

People paid money for those servers. How does /proc/pci hurt you?
If you don't like it, you have the config option. Maybe there should
never have been a /proc/pci, but it's there now and I'm addicted to it.

One common complaint about Linux is that is changes too often.
This wouldn't be just a new version freaking out a PHB, but a real
incompatible change. It's not even a change we need for standards
compliance. If /proc/pci somehow impedes development, please explain.