Re: 2.1.130 - disk trashing and hardlock

Christian Loth (sg618lo@unidui.uni-duisburg.de)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 15:41:49 +0100 (MEZ)

Hiya,

Philipp Rumpf wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 03:21:32PM +0100, Christian Loth wrote:
> > Why yes, yes I am :) How did you know? ;)
>
> > > OK, would be nice if you mounted /win read-only and tried to reproduce
> > > the bug. If I am right with my suspicion, you should be able to reproduce
> > > the bug by doing a "find" in /win ... Thanks in advance,
>
> > Yep, that reproduced it. Well, not exactly like that. Instead of a hardlock
> > I had a totally unstable system afterwards: X crashing, not being able
> > to start it up again, shells not starting up when trying to log in at
> > a console, after a while no console switching possible.
>
> What is most important is if you got the log messages again.

Yes, it was the same log message again. But with one more interesting thing
I found...the thing with not being able to log in:

Nov 29 15:13:38 loth kernel: Out of memory for bash.

Memory leak?

> > However, I have no idea how to solve this problem. Is it a fault of the
> > kernel? Or a fault of my screwed system? If the second, any suggestions
> > how I could fix it?
>
> If I am right, it is a problem of your kernel when having a broken fat fs
> mounted. Here is a small patch that should fix the problem you reported
> first. Please report if you can still lock your system with this patch
> applied. Thanks,

Ok, compiling...will tell you after reboot and test.

- Chris

--
| Christian Loth, chris@rom.mud.de    |           REALM OF MAGIC             |