Re: 2.1.125 filesystem corruption under extreme load

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
29 Nov 1998 18:54:02 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981129131222.20862F-100000@z.ml.org>,
Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org> wrote:

>No just bad, very very very bad. 8k is the smallest unit that can have
>frag problems, and it's very important that we can fork.
>
>If this is happening to people then perhaps we need to delay 2.2 and wait
>for the 2.3 big MM changes. How trivial is an emergency defragmenter?

Stop blaming the memory management!

People blamed the memory management last time too, and ran around in
circles shouting that it needed to be rewritten. They were wrong then,
they are wrong now. The error reported was EAGAIN, not ENOMEM. Big
difference.

People have fragmentation on their brains, PLEASE STOP IT!

Linus