Re: Kernel Compilation Project

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
30 Nov 1998 08:16:29 +0100

Riley Williams <rhw@bigfoot.com> writes:
> Indeed, one way of making sure of that might be to add some sort
> of "make randomconfig" option that goes through the options in
> the same way that "make config" does, but chooses an answer at
> random out of those available, rather than asking the user for the
> desired choices. I can see how to do that for options such as
> "bool", "tristate" or "dep_tristate", but how would such a system
> deal with "int", "hex" or "choice", or other suchlike options?

Easy. For "choice" you randomly select one from the list. The others don't
affect compilation and thus are irrelevant.

> > result to the jitterbug-page. This is not really distributed (the
> > .config's are created on the client) but it is a start. It is

If it's truly random, that doesn't really matter; it just means that, on
average, you need twice the time until you find a given problem.

If that means that people without a direct Internet connection can run the
test suite, so much the better.

> > 2) Multi-platform support (is it possible to do a make config for
> > a different architecture?)

Yes.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661