Re: NTP dumps Linux, film at 11. [Fwd/FYI]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:20:12 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> What we need is simply some Linux person who knows and cares about NTP,
> nothing more. It's unrealistic to assume that BSD people could maintain
> ntpd with Linux support without anybody in the Linux camp being willing to
> stand up for the Linux part.

Btw, just in case people worry: don't worry too much. I use ntpd every
day, and it works beautifully. But I know that at least early 2.1.x SMP
kernels had horribly problems with ntpd - losing synchronization
completely several times a day, and not ever really getting truly good
time.

I suspect the same is true of 2.0.x SMP - the problem was due to simply
horribly bad timer tick latencies under any kind of load, due to both
timer interrupts and the gettimeofday() functions using the single kernel
lock. Any heavy kernel activity just killed it.

The point still holds: in order to solidly support NTP in a reasonable
fashion we need to have a ntp maintainer that is responsive and actively
works on problems and is recognized as _the_ maintainer. But that doesn't
mean that the current stuff is a complete disaster, it just means that I
fully understand why some NTP people don't like the Linux situation.

Linus