Re: 2.0.36 instability?

Glenn Burkhardt (glenn@aoi.ultranet.com)
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 13:26:27 -0500

> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, what kind of hardware do you have in your machine?
>
> PII, 233MHz, 128MB, Intel board, 440BX, Adaptec AIC-7881U (rev 1), S3 Inc.
> Trio64V2/DX or /GX (rev 6) and Cyclades board.
>
> > I've been getting similar crashes/lock ups that are definitely related to
> > a Moxa C168HS serial mux. Do you have any special peripherals in your machine?
> > I've been running 2.0.36 on a vanilla machine (ViRGE graphics, ethernet only)
> > without any problems.
>
> I run 2.0.36 on similar machine without Cyclades, and it's also OK.
>

> > I plan to down grade to 2.0.32 to check it out...

How interesting! Just to compare notes, how are you using the Cyclades board?

Do you enable logins on the ports?

Do you use a loadable driver for the Cyclades board, or one linked into the
kernel?

When the error occurs, you said your entire system hangs. If you've logged
in at the console before the error, can you do anything?

I've just pulled the Ethernet board out of my system, and I know that there are
no problems if I disable logins on the serial mux ports. So the only other
devices are S3 video, IDE disk and CDROM. The Moxa C168HS is an ISA board.

After a few minutes of running, the kernel decides to unload the driver. After
this point, attempts to use the tty driver fail. If I haven't logged in at the
console (with X windows disabled), I can't log in (messages from the kernel
about "Unable to handle kernel paging request". If I've enabled X windows,
xdm can run, and I can log in, but attempts to start an xterm fail (again,
causing messages to the log about "Unable to handle kernel paging request".

If I've logged in at the console, I can edit files, but 'shutdown -h now'
doesn't work.