Re: 2.1.12X low responsiveness without high load

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 09:07:56 +0100 (CET)

On 1 Dec 1998, Rainer Nagel wrote:

> if one process needs much cpu-cycles, the system feels very slow.

Try my scheduler-bigpatch. The slowness is inherant to the
way the system is designed, but don't worry it won't affect
throughput, stability or anything serious.

The snappy response will be integrated in 2.3 (unless shouted
down by a really overwhelming majority of the crowd present).

> Switching two xterms will be slow down so much, that one can see, how
> the contents will build up :-(

This _is_ bad. I haven't experienced anything that bad
with 2.1.130 (or anything before). Are there any system
specifics we should be aware of?

> To test, `cat /dev/zero >/dev/null` is enough.
> Thy system feels like it is swapping hardly.

I posted a fix for this (VM) problem a few hours ago. I
seriously abused it and tried to break the system, but
it survived so I guess my patch is allright :)
You can get it from my home page if the list archive is
to full.

cheers,

Rik -- now completely used to dvorak kbd layout...