Re: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:51:39 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> Someone was prepared to donate an old 32-proc Sequent machine (S81: 386/20
> procs, maybe 256MB RAM, couple SCSI channels and disks) to Alan Cox a
> while ago (6mo?) but he was unable to find anywhere to put it (7ft x 3ft x
> 4ft, needs 3-phase, heats your house, etc.) at the time. Perhaps if
> someone has space in a data center to put it, and it still exists, someone
> could get it online (after shipping it from France or somesuch) and let
> people port to it.

I had a similar sized monster (Convex C1) in my dining room for a year or
so. I'm sure had I ever gone through the week-long trial of booting the
thing and attaching it to my network of Linux boxes, I would have been
disappointed. The mystique of a Cray-compatible vector processing
supercomputer would have been shattered in comparison with a modest modern
PC.

If you're gonna do retrocomputing, pick something that's fun, does a lot
with a little, and doesn't draw 6000 watts of electricity.