Re: IPv4: ssh failure, local port 1023

Ben Collins (bmc@visi.net)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 18:44:01 -0500

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 07:20:03PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> Sometimes I have problems using ssh to log in. The ssh connection just doesn't
> seem to succeed. Using the `-v' option, the last line it prints is
>
> Allocated local port 1023

Is the ssh program suid? If not then it can't allocate port 1023 since
that is a privileged port that requires root or suid on the binary. If you
wish to keep ssh -s like myself (it only breaks rhosts type
authentication which sucks any way) then add this to your ssh_config:

UsePrivilegedPort no

This will tell ssh not to even try using ports < 1024.

good luck

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org