Re: Problems with to large of a kernel

Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 19:37:27 -0500

George Bonser wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Timm Gleason wrote:
>
> > Yes, I've done this. However, when trying to use that kernel on a floppy
> > disk for installation (we build nearly 50 servers a month for our business),
> > you cannot boot off of a floppy using that kind of kernel image.
> >

> That is a problem with bzimage, some systems just do not like them. I have
> a system that will not boot a bzimage kernel. I have had some luck with
> making as much as I can as modules (except for the initial hard disk
> support) and shutting off support for everything I do not need. In other
> words, pare that kernel down as much as you can and keep trying zImage. I
> do not know what it is about those certain systems but I have never been
> able to get this one system here to ever boot a bzImage kernel.
>
> > Timm Gleason

I've asked this before, but......
My Dell Dimension XPS Pro200n seems to have some power management capabilities,
but......  When I turn on power management in the cmos setup, the next time I boot
the machine, it starts out looking fine, but then, around when my LILO prompt
generally appears, I hear a few musical notes and the computer turns itself
off---a thing it never does when I tell it to (grumble).  I have tried booting
from a raw-kernel floppy (bzimage) but with the same result.  This isn't crucial,
but I sure wish it would work......

Dell tech support was thoroughly unhelpful, claiming that modern operating systems
do their own power management, and I don't need this option.  BS.

David Feuer