Re: NTP dumps Linux, film at 11. [Fwd/FYI]

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:05:26 +1100

Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
> So there are at least a few device drivers which are apparently holding
> interrupts off long enough so that we lose a clock interrupt. Not good,
> and one of the reasons why any attempts to tweak the Linux scheduler to
> make it a "real-time system" simply elicits a smile from me..... oh, if
> only it were so easy! :-)

Well, that swipe missed the point of the scheduler tweak. It also
ignores the possibility of running a system without device drivers
which turn off interrupts for extended periods of time.

As if we're going to run the observatory clock software on a
laptop... It's not even going to have a hard disc.

Regards,

Richard....