Re: NTFS partitions show up as OS/2 partitions.

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 20:17:10 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> I recently tore down a Windows NT 4.0 server that used NTFS on two
> partitions. When I ran (Linux) fdisk, I noticed that both partitions
> showed up as OS/2 HPFS partitions. The machine has never had OS/2
> installed on it!

Microsoft, in their ultimate wisdom, thought it would be a good idea to
assign the same partition magic number to NTFS that HPFS used. All fdisk
sees is that number.

So, there's no way to (at the partition level) tell the difference between
NTFS and HPFS. Thanks, Bill.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net> />  Who would have thought that we  -o)
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/        // would be freed from the Gates of  /\\