Re: High UID support for Linux

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:31:51 -0500 (EST)

Andreas Schwab enscribed thusly:
> "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com> writes:

> |> BTW... We use to play some games with some speech recognition
> |> daemons where we would "modify" the $HOME environment to fake out the
> |> XAuthority for connecting to the XServer... Ugly - yes... Worked -
> |> YOU BETCHA!

> Why not just set XAUTHORITY?

That was also an option... It simply wasn't the option we chose, for
reasons other than the XAuthority issue.

The point is that there are conditions which exist out there where
an environment variable may be "tinkered with" and can not be trusted. The
environment variables are maintained by the shell, not the kernel.

> --
> Andreas Schwab "And now for something
> schwab@issan.cs.uni-dortmund.de completely different"
> schwab@gnu.org