Re: /proc and /kern

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@aivazian.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:55:30 +0000 (GMT)

There are probably many advantages to this, but the more obvious ones are:

a) It is easier (for user program) to process /proc under assumption that
we won't find anything "modern", i.e. anything other a plain old <pid>
directory.

b) This is the way it is done under UnixWare, i.e. /proc and
/system/processor (/processorfs) are separate filesystems and /proc only
contains <pid> directories.

c) Different permission semantics can be implemented, e.g. one could allow
creation of FIFOs in /kern but not in /proc to cater for cases like the
recently-discussed /proc/pci compatibility issue.

Regards,
Tigran