Re: NTP dumps Linux, film at 11. [Fwd/FYI]

Todd Larason (jtl@molehill.org)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:59:42 -0800

On 981203, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> Some of the reports of drifts of the order of 10-15
> seconds/day can be written off to simply sucky PC hardware, but the
> reports of drifts of minutes per minutes can't just be bad hardware.
> Esecpailly in Brandon's case, where he's seeing significant drift
> *forward* in time.

I have one machine that always drifts forward, at least 3 minutes/day, and
sometimes up to 10 minutes/hour. The worst long-term drift I've seen from it
was when I was on vacation for and it was basically idle for 11 days, during
which time it slipped forward over three hours. I started running XNTP on it
after that, so don't pay much attention any more, but XNTP does have a devil
of a time keeping it synchronized sometimes.

Just to muddy the waters even mroe: the machine started out running Redhat 4.x
(4.2 I think), and is now running 5.1. It's a production build box, so it
always runs the stock RH kernels.

I don't know anything unusual with the hardware; it's a triton II motherboard,
200mhz pentium, IDE-based PC.

--
ICQ UIN: 106905656