Re: NO ROM BASIC

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:17:52 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Konstantyn Prokopenko wrote:

> I'm new in Linux and I've got a problem compiling a kernel.
> I have dual PENTIUM II motherboard with 128 Mb memory runing Red Hat
> Linux. I compiled the 2.1.128 Linux kernel using:
>
> make config
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make install

I guess you want to do a 'make bzlilo' here, making sure that
the new kernel lands in the same place where the old kernel
was.

To be absolutely sure, you probably also want to make a zdisk
(or bzdisk, if it exists).

When you are using modules, don't forget to build them too!

> Then I rebooted. When it starts, it goes to 40 column mode and
> says "NO ROM BASIC"

What, your spiffy new PII came without even a decent ROM
BASIC? What a ripoff... Sheez, you'd expect those computer
salesmen to have gotten some decency by now -- guess not. :)

succes,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE