Re: your mail

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:23:56 +0100

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 08:00:11PM -0800, Tim Thompson wrote:
> but i need to be able to eather call an
> 'int 15' or directly call the address in BIOS of the lcd handaler.
> Will the kernel allow a module to do eather? If so anyone got an example
> of this? I'm relitivly new to linux kernel modules.

AFAIK, there's no way to call a routine in your BIOS, if it was designed for
real-mode, which most routines are designed for.
If you think your BIOS routine is PM clean, find out a way to figure out the
address (intvektor 15 in DOS ...). This might include hacking setup.S or
LILO to read the intvektor, before we switch to PM.
Look into APM code or vesafb code how to call such a routine. You don't
expect the machine insn int 15 to work!

BTW: You really mean int 0x15? Wasn't this the int BIOSes used to use for
tapes and now use for joystick access and some extended memory reporting and
copying funcs. You won't be lucky calling it.

--
Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff@ping.de>  (Dortmund, FRG)
PGP key on http://student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff