Re: Synchronous protocols on Linux

Krzysztof Halasa (khc@intrepid.pm.waw.pl)
03 Dec 1998 22:59:26 +0100

Michael Lausch <mla@gams.co.at> writes:

> some time ago i fetched the GPL source from sdlcomm's ftp site. i
> still have it. The driver works now for 1 month in a 2.0.x environment
> without downtime in Cisco HDLC mode.
> <ftp://ftp.gams.at/pub/linux/sdl/sdlcomm-n2-cisco-hdlc-0.1.tar.gz>

Yes, but... it lacks FR protocol. SDL had source of Cisco, sync PPP and
raw HDLC available on their ftp. They were also selling FR driver, with
object-only FR module. Some time ago they stopped to provide any drivers,
and they have some "devel kit" available under NDA.

I assume current driver manufacturer (there is info on ftp.sdlcomm.com)
signed the NDA and is providing binary-only drivers for Cisco, PPP, raw
and FR protocols for free. I believe it may violate the GPL, if the code
is based on part of Linux kernel.

Anyway, this binary FR driver is good as a toy, but not in mission-critical
router.

--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator of The Palace of Youth in Warsaw