Re: Linux 2.1.131ac2 is up

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:57:11 +0100

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 11:13:12AM -0600, Ken Clark wrote:
> > o AVL tree for programs with large numbers of VMAs (eg netscape/X)
>
> Honestly not trying to troll here, but do you have any idea what the 2.2
> solution to lots of VMAs is going to be? There was lots of talk about fuzzy
> hashes and such a while back, but I haven't heard anything since.

IIRC, DaveM implemented the fuzzy hash thing and the VMA access was speeded
up in cases where we have a large number of them. But if we got a really
large number, the AVL code is still faster ...
And that's why, Alan's code switches to AVL for those really large numbers.
No idea, if Linus will put it into 2.2.

--
Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff@ping.de>  (Dortmund, FRG)
PGP key on http://student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff