Re: Internationalizing Linux

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 10:48:49 +0100

In article <m0zlxPn-0007U3C@the-village.bc.nu> you wrote:

> cat bugreport | toenglish | more

> that wil find all the numbered errors (eg format them $ID$ - text)
> and replace them with their "original" format.

> To my mind the constant numbering and also correct handling of positional
> data are the killer issues.

A simple fix for the most common problem would be for perror and strerror
to add the symbol for the errno at the start. Instead of

/etc/password: Permission denied

you would get

EPERM: /etc/password: Permission denied

or of course

EPERM: /etc/password: Adgang ikke tilladt

which would even help english hackers, by making it simpler to search
the kernel for where the error is returned.

This is slightly off-topic as it's a libc issue.

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com           Ceterum censeo, Microsoftem esse delendam!