Re: Internationalizing Linux

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 13:12:03 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Tymm Twillman wrote:
> So now we require anyone who writes a device driver/module/etc to put a
> unique identifier for every string that they print out?

Yes. However, there's nothing saying that the identifier has to be
-globally- unique; a system should be devisable which makes it unique -to
that driver-, which would be substatially less burden on the programmer.
You'd also have identifiers for other kernel subsections, and probably a
magic "misc" identifier for those that just don't categorize well.

Also, if an automated bug tracking system is adopted, the tracker could
use the same subsection/driver identifiers to break up reporting of bugs.

-esm (looking forward to the "Redneck" version of "Printer on fire")

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

Linux labyrinth 2.1.131 #2 SMP Fri Dec 4 20:13:41 CST 1998 i586 unknown 11:10am up 12:56, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.01