Re: [Possibly offtopic] Only root can login

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 22:05:38 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, David wrote:
> Reply to mail from ztion@swipnet.se
> -----------------
> > I just noticed that only root can login to my box. Other users just get a
> > "Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied".
> > I have 2.0.36 , just upgraded from 2.0.35. I use slack 3.6.
> >
> > I knew i had read about this problem a while ago so i looked in the archives.
> > Well , it turned out my permissions on /lib/ld* and /etc/ld* was all correct.
> > What else could be causing this ?
>
> chmod 755 /
>
> ...and other "uh...oops <crooked smile>" directories/files. :)

For extra data points, I believe a 0711 permission on /
works too. At least it used to...

It tends to confuse a number of programs though :)

cheers,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE