Re: /proc and /kern

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
5 Dec 1998 23:18:51 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.13928.14782.226182.565855@cerise.sensei.co.uk>,
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk> wrote:

>david parsons wrote:
>
>> > Another thought I had is to make the pseudo files in /proc and /kern
>> > display real size information instead of 0, as they do under BSD,
>>
>> That would be really nice, if you could have come guarantee that
>> the size wouldn't change between stat time and access time.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1. Why?

So you don't have to recompute the /proc entries to set the size
whenever someone does a stat() [a waste of perfectly good processor
cycles]. Sure, you could have them return a bogus value, but in
that case why even bother to set the size at all?

____
david parsons \bi/ after all, you don't want those 386sx/16s exploding
\/ under the weight of a ls -lR /proc.