Re: Y2k compliance

Mirian Crzig Lennox (mirian@xensei.com)
07 Dec 1998 11:31:33 -0500

Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Colin Plumb wrote:
>
> > Anyway, both articles have interesting information if you're really
> > serious about it. Of course, the Papal Bull was adopted in various
> > countries by specific bits of legislation. England, for example,
> > adopted it in 1752, leading to a funny-looking September as they had
> > to make up for the calendar skew that had accumulated in the meantime.
>
> Yes, if my memory serves me right (I'm too old I guess - shh, don't tell
> Highlander about me), they dropped quite a few days, with the result that
> 6th (not sure) to the 13th were entirely lost, and so at midnight on the
> 6th (not sure), they jumped forward to the 14th of September.
>
> Many uneducated people were terrified at the prospect of doing something
> like that and genuinely feared the end of the world as they knew it.
> Sounds familiar, guys?

Well, there was also the problem that labourers in England were
generally paid by the hour, but paid rent by the month. Very bad news
indeed if the month is by some mysterious means only 19 days long.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.