Re: Cirrus Framebuffer?

Ely Wilson (plexus@ionet.net)
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:31:31 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I see stuff like virgefb.c, s3triofb.c, clgenfb.c, etc. in
> drivers/video.
>
> I'm assuming these are framebuffer drivers for S3 Virge, S3 Trio,
> and Cirrus Logic cards. Looking at the insides of the files
> makes it also appear to be what I am assuming.
>
> If my assumptions are correct, what exactly do these files do?

Indeed, is anyone yet working on generalized fb drivers for those few
(thousand) users who have systems that dont have SVGA VBE 2.0 in their bios
but have the memory (2M+) to actually make use of a framebuffer?

I had given such a project thought but.. It may be something left for
working into 2.3, if anyone is interested in doing this and has the time
feel free to contact me. (Unless this is already being done..?)