Re: mozilla+XFree86+Linux-2.1.x => HARD LOCKUP (addition)

Michel Aubry (giovanni@sudfr.com)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:02:43 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

> Hey Michel,
>
> What is your take on the VP2/97 chipset and UDMA?
> Can it be done or is that version which was a pre-release against the
> ATA-3 standard and has never worked correctly?

In my point of view, vp2 is fully compliant with the driver,( although I
never tested it!). In fact nobody never complained!

I am quite sure that this chipset is udma compliant (have a look at
http://www.via.com.tw/products/prodvp2.htm ... I don't see any reason why
it doesn't work. fifo setup has nothing to do with that.

How do you run it (which is your processor speed? I saw misbehavior with
early versions of 586b south bridge while running cpu speed > 66mhz!).

In fact, I don't figure what your misbehavior might be (the title stands
"mozilla+XFree86+Linux-2.1.x => HARD LOCKUP (addition)". Is this meaning
that these difficulties occur while heavily loading the system?

Could you send me a copy of your "cat /proc/ide/via" or so, and a copy of
boot and error messages, please?

While waiting for some other clue...
cheers,

Michel Aubry.