Re: Cirrus Framebuffer?

Phil Brutsche (pbrutsch@creighton.edu)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:19:53 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Ely Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

[snip]

> Indeed, is anyone yet working on generalized fb drivers for those few
> (thousand) users who have systems that dont have SVGA VBE 2.0 in their bios
> but have the memory (2M+) to actually make use of a framebuffer?

You might want to look on the Cirrus Logic web site for a TSR that will
give your card VBE 2.0 capabilities. I found one for my S3 ViRGE on the
S3 web site that works perfectly with fbcon and loadlin.

> I had given such a project thought but.. It may be something left for
> working into 2.3, if anyone is interested in doing this and has the time
> feel free to contact me. (Unless this is already being done..?)
All that would need to be done is to make a fbcon driver for VESA 1.2
cards. This was discussed on the GGI mailing list (check their archives -
it was held during this summer, IIRC) and was thrown out because of the
complexity involved (the VESA 1.2 driver would have to do bank switching
alot - while "thunking" down to the bios to do it. Not a pretty sight).

Phil Brutsche

"Be of stout heart, Number One. We've handled the Borg. We can
certainly handle Admiral Jellico." - Jean-Luc Picard

Help stop spam! Visit http://www.cauce.org