Re: redhat 5.2 kernel

Alan McLean (amcl@flash.net)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:13:35 -0600

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 07:18:30PM -0500, Samie Hashemi wrote:

> i need help!!
> someone please,
>
> i have boot my linux box with a rescue disk because i was getting 'kernel
> panic' and it took to the shell. now that i am in the shell in the rescue
> mode, i can't seem to mount the linux filesystem so i could put the old
> kernel back on. some help please.
>
> samie

mkdir /mnt
mknod /dev/hda1 b 3 1 (device/major/minor to suite)
mount -t ext2 /dev/hda1 /mnt (device to suite)
vi /mnt/etc/lilo.conf (add section for old kernel)
/mnt/sbin/lilo -r /mnt
umount /mnt

3 finger salute

hindsight i know, but you should always keep a lilo entry for
the old kernel while testing.

good luck

-amcl