Re: Linux/98?!?

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:55:11 +0100

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 11:14:39AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Dominik Kubla wrote:
>
> > That's correct. The reason is that PS/2 MCA compares to RS/6000 MCA
> > roughly like PCI to AGP (well not quite, but you get the picture...)
>
> This isn't entirely true. Several MicroChannel Adapters can be used on
> both platforms; most networks adapters, for instance, and a few
> SCSI-adapters too.
>
> /David Weinehall

I knew it was a bad comparison as soon as i sent it. But ISA/EISA will
not fit the bill as well... The connectors are compatible, but RS/6000
runs its MCA much faster and transfers data on both flanks of the clock
signal, that's why i chose AGP as example.

Anyway: starting from the PS/2 stuff it shouldn't be too difficult to
get some sort of support for RS/6000 MCA, but not all cards will work
with that. At least that's what i was told when i brought this subject
up, back when the PPC port started...

Dominik Kubla

--
The text above represents my personal opinion and does not represent the
official position of my employer on the issue(s) discussed.  Any official