Re: redhat 5.2 kernel

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 01:25:07 -0500

I don't know about redhat, but you should be able to save your system using
a slackware boot/root disk combo. Go to their ftp site ftp.cdrom.com,
directory /pub/linux/slackware-3.6. Choose the right boot disk for your
system under ./bootdsks and use the color.gz or rescue.gz boot disk. Using
this combo you should be able to boot up a rescue floppy system to
resusitate your system. You may also check your redhat box for a rescue
bootable CD, my last two versions of slackware came with a bootable CD that
contained a ready to run system (useful for either recueing systems or just
getting a quicky Linux system up). Remember to tell your BIOS to boot off
the CDROM first.

BTW, from your message it sounds like as if you compiled you SCSI card
driver (and maybe SCSI disk too) as a module. If so this is the cause of
your problem, the bootable disk cannot have its drivers as modules as the
kernel needs to know how to access the disk before it can load any modules.
So in your case SCSI support, your SCSI card, and SCSI disk drivers should
be installed as part of the kernel not modules.

Also come to think of it all you need to boot your system is a kernel on a
floppy. Actually you should be fine by just getting a slackware boot disk
(taylored to your system) and issuing the following command on the lilo
prompt:

mount root=/dev/sda1

You'll get a warning message about booting the kernel not mounting the root
file system as readonly or something like that, but after the press of the
enter key to dissmiss the message (if you get the message at all, different
distribution after all) you system will boot and work.

After you fix your system I suggest you both:

1 - add an entry to /etc/lilo.conf to give you the option to boot your old
kernel, just in case you have a problem in the future.

2 - Keep 2 copies of you kernel(s) on a disk to boot through the floppy if
necesary.

dd bs=512 if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 # Command for
Current kernel dumped to A: drive floppy
dd bs=512 if=/vmlinuz.old of=/dev/fd0 # Command for
Previous kernel dumped to A: drive floppy