Re: EtherExpress PRO/100 Intelligent Server Adapter with i960(R) proces sor

Osma Ahvenlampi (oa@spray.fi)
11 Dec 1998 10:19:40 +0200

Jeffrey Hundstad <jeffrey.hundstad@mankato.msus.edu> writes:
> My brand-spank'n-new "EtherExpress PRO/100 Intelligent Server Adapter
> with i960(R) processor" showed up today and I instlled it. It was
> undetected by the eepro100.c:v1.06 10/16/98 driver that comes with
> linux-2.1.131. Is there a driver that does work with this card? Or
> am I doing something wrong?

Extracting from a web page. See especially point 3.
<URL:http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html#PCI>

Unsupported boards

Linux now supports almost every current-production PCI Fast and
Gigabit Ethernet chip!

The exceptions are generally unique boards based on supported chips:

- Boards using the Digital Tulip chip must have a correct media table
in the EEPROM. (Some common boards do have explicit driver support.)
- There is no plan to support the obsolete Intel EtherExpressPro 100A,
which hasn't been produced in years.
- No board with an on-board processor is supported, because these
invariably have a proprietary/undocumented interface. (EEPro Server
and Matrox multiport PCI switch cards fall into this category.)
- The Essential Communications Gigabit Ethernet board is not yet
supported.
- The Alteon Gigabit Ethernet chip is not supported because of lack of
programming information from Alteon. Similarly the 3Com 3c985
- Gigabit Ethernet board is not yet supported.
- The new Intel Gigabit Ethernet board is not supported because of
lack of programming information from Intel.
- The announced (but not yet available) Sun "GEM" Gigabit Ethernet
chip is not yet supported.

And on the eepro100 driver home page, at
<URL:http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html>

Linux and the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100

This page contains information on using Linux with the Intel PCI
EtherExpress Pro100B board, Pro100+, and other PCI boards using the
i82557 or i82558 chip.

"i960(R) Processor" quite obviously is not i82557 or i82558. Pay
attention.

--
Gravity brings me down.
Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@spray.fi>