Re: net/ipv4 sysctl - Programming help request

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 12:00:54 +0100

In muc.lists.linux-kernel, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Okay, I added the icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses sysctl in
>/proc/sys/net/ipv4 recently. That's fine - It's boolean and
>simple.

We already have too many obscure sysctls. Simply log it the first time and
ignore it later.

>Following Alan Cox's suggestions, I want to add another sysctl which
>simply holds the last 3 (or whatever) IPs that have sent such bogus
>error responses.
>
>(This is so users can turn off the annoying repeating messages, but still
>check which IPs are responsible).
>
>What's the best way of putting this in? Essentially a Read-Only sysctl,
>but where should I store the data?

In a global variable, which is an array of ints. As an example see the
freepages sysctl entry in kernel/sysctl:vm_table[]

>C'mon, I'm sure there are some sysctl gurus out there just salivating at
>the chance of helping here. ;)

Pff..

-Andi