Re: Minor request for enhancement: "beep on halt"

Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey@rincewind.chemie.uni-ulm.de)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:20:30 +0100

>>> "SH" == Stephen Harris <sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk> writes:

SH> I wrote:
>> hard to tell when the kernel has halt'd. So how about the busy while(1);
>> loop on halt having the ability to beep once a second (or whatever) so that
>> the admin knows when the kernel has finally halted...

SH> Most people have replied saying "just put a beep in your shutdown sequence",
SH> "do it in userspace" etc etc etc.

SH> Unfortunately this isn't suitable - the machines may be in a locked cabinet
SH> a few minutes walk away from the remote terminally shutting the system
SH> down.

so why would you want the machine to beep? maybe you won't hear it.
just ifconfig down your network devices as the last step in your
shutdown scripts. you can poll the status of the machine by just pinging
it. if you use a remote monitoring software like tkinetd you could
even watch a bunch of machines simulatneously with nice graphics.

i have to regularly shut down about 30 boxes remotely (various operating
systems, but most of them running linux, of course, and quite a lot of them
running headless). especially in our computer room, you simply cannot hear
any beeping, because of all the noise from the (old) disks and fans. but
turning off the network devices works nicely with all of them.

cheers,
axel