Re: RS/6000 (was Re:Linux/98?!?)

Aaron Wrasman (awrasman@enchanted.net)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:05:19 -0600

Some of the current RS/6000s are PPC with MCA. For example the SMP high nodes
in the SP2 are 604 and 604Es. They are switching the RS/6000 line over to PCI
in most cases. The top of the line S70 and S7A servers are using a custom chip
that is based off of the PPC. IBM is trying to merge the hardware of their
AS/400 line with the RS/6000 line with this monster. We'll be getting one of
these in the next couple months at work. So I'll know more about them.

Most of the PPC servers do use PCI though.

Aaron