Re: Linux threads -- as seen in NT Magazine

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:37:23 +1100

Mike Touloumtzis writes:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 08:12:15AM +1100, Richard Gooch wrote:
> >
> > David Feuer writes:
> > >
> > > Apparently everyone else on the face of the earth disagrees with me, but
> > > I think that it would really be nice if threads could send asynchronous
> > > events to each others (signals or similar). 'twould also be pleasant if
> >
> > ??? Since each thread is a "process" under Linux, sending signals from
> > one thread to another is trivial. Use kill(2).
> >
> ...or you can even use pthread_kill() for thread ID based signaling.

At the moment, it boils down to the same thing.

> Signaling isn't POSIX threads compliant yet AFAIK, but there are
> certainly more valid points to be scored against Linux threading
> than that (such as the painfully slow emergence of thread-aware
> debuggers).

I don't what the holdup is with POSIX signalling. I think it can all
be done in userspace (libpthread traps each signal in all threads and
routes them as required).

Regards,

Richard....