Re: Linux threads -- as seen in NT Magazine

Mike Touloumtzis (miket@geoworks.com)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 22:23:16 -0800

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 08:12:15AM +1100, Richard Gooch wrote:

> David Feuer writes:
> >
> > Apparently everyone else on the face of the earth disagrees with me, but
> > I think that it would really be nice if threads could send asynchronous
> > events to each others (signals or similar). 'twould also be pleasant if
>
> ??? Since each thread is a "process" under Linux, sending signals from
> one thread to another is trivial. Use kill(2).

...or you can even use pthread_kill() for thread ID based signaling.

Signaling isn't POSIX threads compliant yet AFAIK, but there are certainly
more valid points to be scored against Linux threading than that (such
as the painfully slow emergence of thread-aware debuggers).

miket