Re: Internationalizing Linux

dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 05:52:31 +0100

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <7524cu$1nn$1@work2.noris.de>
> By author: smurf@noris.de (Matthias Urlichs)
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > > - English has a rather simple grammar (spelling is quite another matter :-)
> >
> > English is rather difficult to parse without hard AI, its free-form grammar
> > lends itself to some rather creative uses. Granted that those are more
> > common in SF novels (I particularly like Douglas Adams when it comes to
> > creative usage of English ;-) than in UN documents...
> >

> Actually, the #1 problem with natural languages is that because
> they're generated with the assumption that the parser/semantic
> analyzer is AI-complete, people don't say what they mean.

No the real problem is that: the second order predicative logic isn't
complete.
So there is no way to map it properly into any kind of formalized
language...
See: Tarski and Goedel :-). AI can't help since it can't exist, at least
on the kind
of silicon based computers we use those times, for the same reasons.
However
amazingly enought this had been well known since already the beginnings
of this
century... BTW. I'm quite happy with this situation since it's implying
as well
that programmers are not going to loose they jobs for a quite long time
in the
future ;-).

Marcin