Re: Minor request for enhancement: "beep on halt"

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
14 Dec 1998 12:21:35 +0100

In article <cistron.199812140735.SAA03215@vindaloo.atnf.CSIRO.AU>,
Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au> wrote:
>Sorry, I don't agree. The shutdown(8) programme is what kills all
>processes, unmounts filesystems, remounts the root FS read-only, syncs
>the discs and then calls reboot(2) which halts/reboots.

On slackware, maybe. On RedHat and Debian, shutdown is a program
from the sysvinit suite. It just prints a message and then puts
the system into runlevel 0 or 6.

>I'm pretty sure about this: I recently hacked shutdown(8) from
>util-linux (check out util-linux-2.9) to add support for a userspace
>power off facility. Once it's safe, it can exec another programme to
>do whatever you like (in my case it talks to some special hardware
>which turns off my machine).

If you want the system (non-slackware) to beep when it's safe to turn
off the power, either hack the halt (8) binary, or edit the appropriate
script that calls halt. In Debian that's /etc/init.d/halt

The only thing you cannot do is beep in an endless loop, but you can
beep 4 times and then call halt.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?