Re: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
14 Dec 1998 17:23:43 +0100

Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:

> No most of our applications do read(filefd), write(sockfd) and as
> such it could probably be done with sendfile, the main issue is that
> it requires rewriting the code as a special case for Linux.

Note that if you have a page-aligned buffer and do a page-aligned read, the
kernel is / should be (don't ask me...) clever enough to toss your existing
page entirely and to map the appropriate page from the file into your space
(copy-on-write, of course). That gives you a zero-copy read, at least.

In fact, the stdio implementation in glibc was explicitly changed to
support this.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661