Re: 2.1.131acX hangs on reboot, does not power off

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:47:41 +0100

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 03:27:04PM +0200, Andrus Kangro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering, if I'm the only one who experiences this, but my laptop
> (Comtura Aero 4/25) does not power itself off with 2.1 kernels, I tested
> 2.1.131ac5 and up. Also, init 6 just stops to the point where screen
> should go blank and machine should restart.
>
> My PII-350 ATX machine reboots ok, but init 0 does not power it off, also.
>
> With 2.0.36 this particular feature was ok.
>
> Aero has latest BIOS and ATX has its power management enabled. They
> both worked ok with 2.0.36, but have problems with 2.1.131ac[5-9].

While 2.0.x only had reboot or poweroff, 2.1.x has three possibilities to
stop working: reboot, halt and poweroff. The old syscall magic no. to halt
and poweroff, now only halts the system.
Upgrade your sysvinit to 2.74 (or newer?) and make sure poweroff is called
instead of halt. (Actually it's the same binary ... the usual default
depends on the name being used strategy.)

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff <K.Garloff@ping.de>  (Dortmund, FRG)
PGP key on http://student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff

There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high, in other words, I can implement this XXXX feature, but I bet someone else has already done it and is just about to release his patch to Linus soon... [From a posting of Tigran Aivazian to linux-kernel, XXXX = disk stat]