Re: [2.1.131-ac10] Oops and more lockups

Jochen Heuer (jogi@planetzork.ping.de)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:42:05 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 09:43:46PM +0100, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Jochen Heuer wrote:
>
> > > hm, in case this is GCC 2.7.2.3, were you untarring the kernel source on a
> > > slightly overclocked box maybe?
> >
> > The system is not overclocked but after I had sent the message I
> > remembered that I had changed the bios settings a little bit. Reversing
> > those changes seems to help. But I had several oops with plain 2.1.131
> > which were in find_buffer too, so I did not suspect my hardware first
> > (Those oops happened even with the slow memory timings).
>
> find_buffer() is typically a good crash-candidate for slightly buggy
> hardware (memory), because it goes through a potentially large number of
> randomly placed buffer heads with a high frequency. I've also seen it
> crash more often in connection with IDE-DMA related bugs, so maybe
> running for a while with disabled DMA (hdparm -d0) helps finding the
> problem too.

The system is not using IDE at all, so I am wondering where those oops
came from. I've never seen them before on my machine.

Regards,

Jogi

--

Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?

<< Calvin & Hobbes >>