Re: Linux's interpretation of trailing '/'

Lenart Gabor (lgb@hal2000.hal.vein.hu)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:24:17 +0100

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 10:59:17AM +0000, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Well, I find the Linux behaviour rather useful.
> `find /usr/src/linux/' lists the latest kernel source files,
> while find /usr/src/linux' lists the name of a symbolic link.
> Etc. etc.

lgb@hal2000:~$ ls -lad /home/lgb/
drwxr-sr-x 14 lgb lgb 51200 Dec 15 13:16 /home/lgb/
lgb@hal2000:~$ du -s /home/lgb/
0 /home/lgb
lgb@hal2000:~$ du -s /home/lgb
0 /home/lgb
lgb@hal2000:~$ ls -lad /home/lgb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 10 16:24 /home/lgb -> /home/kntnfs/lgb
lgb@hal2000:~$ du -s /home/kntnfs/lgb
33745 /home/kntnfs/lgb

Well, /home/lgb is just a symlink. With access it by /home/lgb (eg : ls)
it will be appeared the symlink itself, while with /home/lgb/ it will
appeared as the directory the link points to. But in this case it's strange
for me that 'du' can't see anything in BOTH cases only if I give the pointed
directory. However I think it's not the perfect logical way somewhere ...

"The truth is out there" "We're living together" "The future is dark."
---[ 88/422022-4602 ]--[ http://www.hal.vein.hu/~lgb ]------[ 87/477074 ]---