Re: sendfile() documentation

Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.net)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:47:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Felix von Leitner wrote:

> The reason to use sendfile would be to save the context switches, so I
> don't want my select to return all the time, right?

I don't know that sendfile is so much intended to save context switches
as it is to obviate unnecessary copying from kernal space to user space
and back down to the kernel again. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       tlewis@mindspring.net      (800) 719-4664, x2804

"It's still ludicrous that nobody's ever made a run at us by making UNIX a popular platform on PCs. It's almost too late now." -- Steve Balmer "It is too late." -- Bill Gates _Newsweek_, 6/23/97, p. 82